(Bryan, OH) A little spooky science gave a Northwest Ohio neighborhood a good scare.
A scarecrow put a good scare into everyone when it just suddenly burst into flames in the front yard of a Williams County home this week. This close to Halloween, one might think it's a haunting tale-- or even a teenage prank.
ut firefighters explained to the homeowner what happened after quickly dousing the scarecrow to put out the flames. Turns out the homeowner put a real scarecrow, straw and all, on top of a planter box with a dead plant underneath.
According to Bryan's fire chief, the plant was decomposing and generating heat-- setting the scarecrow ablaze. No curse, no Halloween hijinx, just a little spooky science known as spontaneous combustion.