TOLEDO, Ohio - The City of Toledo and Lucas County are closing non-essential offices Wednesday and Thursday due to the extreme temperatures.
“Let’s not mince words: negative 30 degree weather is life-threatening,” said Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz. “A wind chill of 30 below zero is a life-threatening event. There are city employees who are essential, and these brave men and women will be on duty. We are requiring employees who will be on duty to limit exposure and use precautions. We are also asking people to check on neighbors who may need assistance during the extreme cold. The city of Toledo is 182 years old and, according to the records we have, tomorrow and Thursday could be among the top 10 coldest days in history.”
Emergency safety services and non-emergency services through Engage Toledo will remain open. The Engage Toledo number is 419-936-2020.
Warming centers in the city of Toledo will open at the following locations:
- Mayores Senior Center, 2 Aurora Gonzalez Rd. - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for any senior in need of shelter or services. Call 419-242-1142.
- St. Paul’s Community Center, 230 13th St. - open 24 hours Wednesday and Thursday. Call 419-355-5520.
- Life Revitalization Center, (Formerly Macomber High School) 1501 Monroe St. Call 419-214-3007.
- University Church, 4747 Hill Ave. – open 24 hours. Call 419-534-3080.
The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department will also close Wednesday and Thursday. If you need to reach the Health Department, you can call Engage Toledo at 419-936-2020. The Health Department will re-open for normal business hours on Friday at 8 a.m.
WTOL 11 reports the following county offices will be closed to the public Wednesday and Thursday:
- Lucas County Building Regulations, 1115 S. McCord Road
- Lucas County Child Support Enforcement Agency, 701 Adams St.
- Lucas County Job & Family Services, 3210 Monroe St.
- OhioMeansJobs - Lucas County, 1301 Monroe St.
Lucas County Canine Care & Control will remain open the next two days. They are asking the public to call them to report any stray dogs that may be left outside in the cold. County commissioners also extended the deadline for dog owners to purchase licenses for their pets. You now have until Tuesday, February 5 to purchase your license.